Doctor Rice's Office and Dentist
Harrison J. Rice was born in Shelby County, Kentucky, on August 8, 1823. His boyhood days were similar to those of other farmer lads of his time. During most of the year he worked hard at farm chores but found time to attend a short term of school in the winter. He had a receptive mind and made the most of the scanty educational advantages afforded by the primitive log schoolhouse. Later, he entered Wabash College, in Crawfordsville, Indiana where he remained for two years and gained knowledge of Latin, Greek, and higher mathematics.
In about 1845, Mr. Rice determined to adopt the medical profession, came to Rockville and entered the office of his uncle Dr. James L. Allen and became a student. He later attended lectures at Louisville, Kentucky, and attended Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia; graduating from that institution in 1849.
In that same year Dr. Harrison J. Rice married Miss Nancy Moxley. Then formed a partnership with his uncle. Upon Dr. Allen’s death in 1857 he took over the practice as sole owner/physician.
This building was originally a Greek revival structure. It was remodeled around 1865 with Italianate roof brackets and again in 1875 with the longer windows and gaslights. Its original location was on the east side of Market in Rockville.