The school house was built in 1913 and is an excellent example of one-room school houses dating as far back as the 1860’s. The interior of the building is typical of rural district schools in the US. The Huxford School was one of the last one-room schoolhouses in Parke County. The back room was originally a coal storage room. Grades 1-8 studied under the direction of a single teacher who was typically paid $40-45 a month in 1913. Lessons were taught from September to late March. The school was used for 15 years and then became a storage building at the Huxford farm after local schools consolidated.
When Billie Creek Village was in the planning stages they asked to purchase the building from the Huxford family but they refused. In 1968 The Huxfords offered to donate the schoolhouse if the village would assume responsibility for the relocation. It was brought to the village and restored. On the board are two pictures of the building, before and after restoration, drawn and donated by Barbara Flock. The building faces south, just as it did in its original location.
The pictures, blackboard writing, and general school appearance was done by Annabel and George Merry who began their teaching in 1922 in Vermillion County in one room school buildings very much like this one. The flag (a 48 star) was donated by Mrs. Rhoda Harlan (deceased). The book case was presented by Mrs. Lela Pinegar. The books and other mementoes were presented by other retired teachers. The seats in this building came from an abandoned school in Terre Haute. The blackboard is from an abandoned school in Newport.